Topics Under Article Hide
- Appalachian State CS
- After Graduation
- Academic Programs
- Scholarship Information and Opportunities
- Departmental Scholarships
- Department Scholarship Descriptions and Requirements
- College Scholarships
- What Careers Are There?
- Student Clubs
- Introduction to Student Opportunities
- Academic Life at Appalachian State
- Student Life at Appalachian State
- Possibility of Computer Science in India and Abroad
- Course Subjects
- Careers in Computer Science
- Upcoming trends
- Required Skillset for Computer Science
- Course Curriculum for Computer Science
Appalachian State CS .The world runs on knowledge. By knowledge how computing devices work, how to reason about procedures and how to grow software, you are entering a field with boundless opportunities – from software for businesses or research, to apps and a difficult job market.
- 1 Appalachian State CS
- 2 After Graduation
- 3 Academic Programs
- 4 Scholarship Information and Opportunities
- 5 Departmental Scholarships
- 6 Department Scholarship Descriptions and Requirements
- 7 College Scholarships
- 8 What Careers Are There?
- 9 Student Clubs
- 10 Introduction to Student Opportunities
- 11 Academic Life at Appalachian State
- 12 Student Life at Appalachian State
- 13 Possibility of Computer Science in India and Abroad
- 14 Course Subjects
- 15 Careers in Computer Science
- 16 Upcoming trends
- 17 Required Skillset for Computer Science
- 18 Course Curriculum for Computer Science
Appalachian State CS
Appalachian State University’s Bachelor of Science in Computer Science is backed by a engaged faculty. Scholars are predictable to apply what they learn in class through residency chances, investigation or activities sponsored by the section such as App Hack proceedings. Appalachian’s Department of Computer Science was one of the first packages in North Carolina to attain accreditation from the Authorization Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET), which it has detained since 1986. The program offered Appalachian’s first computer science lesson in 1975.
Scholars in this degree have the choice to pursue Appalachian’s accelerated master’s program and obtain their Master of Science degree in Computer Science in one year as in its place of two years by taking graduate coursework during their senior year. The division also offers a Data Science Certificate.
Employment: The job marketplace is so robust in this field that most graduates go straight into service. Employers include Lowes Hardware, CGI (Lebanon, V.A.), Duke Energy, Microsoft, Google, Amazon, ECR Software, Sunrise Technologies, and INMAR.
Graduate schools: Scholars who do choose to follow graduate studies have stayed at Appalachian State University or joined other top packages including those at North Carolina State University, University of North Carolina-Charlotte, Clemson University, Duke University or University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
Welcome to the Computer Science Department
Appalachian’s Department of Computer Science delivers a rigorous, high-quality education that prepares scholars for the calculating industry or graduate education. Computer science programs are not easy, but the rewards can be unresolved.
Our Bachelor of Science in Computer Science package is accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET.
Our Master of Science in Computer Science package began in 1997 and serves to deepen one’s sympathetic of the field in groundwork for career progression or doctoral studies. We have numerous MS alums who have made their PhDs and are professor’ing at other schools! The “faster admission” program can help you get your MS grade in as little as 1 extra year! Follow the Academics link to the Graduate Program for full particulars.
We invitation you to browse our website, visit our site, or send email to learn more around our section. You will find a challenging prospectus, excellent facilities, and an accessible faculty dedicated to quality computer science teaching.
The prospectus is foundational and comprises a balance between theory and requests and is built around a core of obligatory courses in the basic areas of processor science. The scholar programs offer quality instruction that makes students for a fruitful career in computer science or for entry into a graduate package. The graduate program is for scholars who would like to advance beyond the undergraduate level of expert competence or to prepare for future doctoral education.
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.)
- Accredited by the Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Program account
- Honors program
- University Bulletin
- 2021-2022 Program of Education
- Four-year guide: [2021-22 PDF] [prior years – be sure to notice the year headings]
- Two page printable PDF for 2020-21 package of study
- Archived programs of study
- 2018-2021: open online bulletin, use drop down box in upper right corner to select year, then choose Programs of Study in left side panel and navigate to Computer Science B.S.
- 2017-18 and earlier
- Data Science Certificate
- Why should you consider an M.S. degree? Here is an independent voice with numerous great reasons!
- Master of Science (M.S.) Program description
- Programs of Study: Five Concentrations (must choose 1)
- Data Science & Visual Computing
- Web & Mobile
- Graduate Bulletin
- Accelerated Admission (formerly called 4+1, this is for qualifying AppState CS undergrads)
- Your bachelor’s gradation is NOT in computer science?
- We can work with that!
- One-page flyer
- International scholar? You should read this page with additional information and requirements.
Scholarship Information and Opportunities
- Departmental Scholarships
- College of Arts and Sciences Scholarships
- University Scholarships
- Independent (non-Appstate) information/scholarships
- Shutterfly CS Scholarship
The Departments of Computer Science and Mathematical Sciences prize several scholarships each year to present scholars and one scholarship to an inward freshman (the Patterson Scholarship).
Distinct from the recurring grants, the S-STEM and STEP scholarships are limited opportunities subsidised by the National Science Foundation to entice and retain Computer Science and Mathematics academics.
To obtain any of these grants, you must be a full-time scholar during the academic year (or semester) for which the award is made. Award choices are made about one month after the application deadline.
Applications from current CS/Math majors for the next scholarships must be received by February 27
ECRS Computer Science Novelty and Entrepreneurship Scholarship
- John W. and Mary L. Taylor Memorial Scholarship for Math and Computer Science Endowment
- Edith A. Goodman Memorial Scholarship for Mathematics and Computer Science Endowment
- S-STEM Scholarships (formerly CSEMS)
- Mark Harris Endowed Scholarship for Computer Science
- Advisory Board Scholarship for Excellence in Computer Science
- Samanage Success Scholarship for Computer Science
- Camelot Scholarship for Computer Science
Applications from high school pensioners for the Paul Patterson Memorial Scholarship in Mathematics Endowment must be conventional by March 25.
Applications are available through the section office or click below. Applications can be brought to the section office or mailed.
Department Scholarship Descriptions and Requirements
ECRS Computer Science Innovation and Entrepreneurship Scholarship
This scholarship is open to incoming freshman scholars. Applicants will be assessed on academic merit, counting performance in high school, complicated in innovative projects and class rigor with a emphasis on a student’s ability in Mathematics and creative problem solving.
John W. Taylor and Mary L. Taylor Memorial Scholarship for Math and Computer Science
The Taylor Memorial Scholarship is envisioned to encourage rising juniors or seniors in Mathematics and Computer Science. Candidates should:
- Be a increasing junior or senior.
- Be a full-time scholar majoring in Math/Computer Science.
- Demonstrate need for monetary support. A completed Financial Aid Form (FAF) must be on file with the Office of Financial Aid.
- Prove satisfactory academic attainment (3.25 GPA desirable).
Favourite is given to male applicants. The grant can be renewed upon confirmation of continued acceptable academic achievement.
Edith A. Goodman Memorial Scholarship for Mathematics and Computer Science Endowment
The Edith A. Goodman Memorial Scholarship was recognized in 1996 by Drs. Billie and Ted Goodman in reminiscence of their daughter. Each year two prizes are made: one to a computer science main and one to mathematical sciences major. Grant recipients must be rising juniors or seniors and must at least a 3.0 GPA. Favourite is given to female candidates.
S-STEM Scholarships (formerly CSEMS)
The drive of this program is to attract scholars to major in math/statistics/cs. There are some eligibility supplies so be sure to visit the link overhead.
Mark Harris Endowed Scholarship for Computer Science
To provide grant support to students majoring in Computer Science at junior level or higher. This grant may be renewable; though, recipients must reapply yearly.
Advisory Board Scholarship for Excellence in Computer Science
(1) Candidates must be sophomores, juniors or seniors; (2) Candidates must be a major in Computer Science; (3) Candidates must prove satisfactory academic attainment (3.0 GPA minimum); (4) Receivers must be full-time students. This award is renewable founded upon reapplication and reselection.
Samanage Success Scholarship for Computer Science
To provide scholarship provision of $2,500 to a rising junior or senior majoring in Computer Science in the College of Arts and Sciences. Receiver must be in good standing and prove financial need. Favourite shall accrue to a scholar who is a resident of North Carolina. Awards may be renewable if funding is obtainable. Administration related to this grant is the accountability of the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences in organization with the Chair of the Department of Computer Science.
Camelot Scholarship for Computer Science
(1) Scholar(s) must be following a major in Computer Science; (2) Scholar(s) must have successfully finished at least one of the required lessons for a Computer Sciences major and (3) Student(s) will be designated based upon academic keenness and financial needs.
- Sally A. Callegari Memorial Scholarship for Gender Diversity in Animal Educations
- Drs. Joanne Smith and Don R. Brannon Scholarship for Natural Sciences
- Richard A. Thomas Memorial Studentship for Arts and Sciences
- Jonathan K. Perryman Memorial Scholarship for the Sciences
- GlaxoSmithKline Women in Science Scholarships
- The Peggy Harmon Shore Pre-Health Care Expert Endowed Scholarship
What Careers Are There?
The calculating field is red hot! Opportunity is knocking! Paraphrasing the heading lyric of the one-hit wonder from Timbuk 3: “Your calculating future is so bright, you gotta wear shades!”
Here are some external (non-Appstate) resources about computing careers:
- Forbes Magazine Top 10 Jobs for 2015 (we are #2,7,9)
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Also Check Masters in Computer Science in UK
Department Sponsored Clubs
- ASCII: Appalachian Society for Computing, Informatics and Innovation – a recognized CSIL student club
- a recognized CSIL club
- Video Game Development Club – a recognized CSIL club
- WICS: Women in Computer Science – a recognized CSIL club
Other Interesting Clubs
- Nerd Network – a recognized CSIL club
- Gaming Club – a documented CSIL club
- AITP – Association of Information Technology Professionals – a recognized chapter of AITP; a documented CSIL club
Introduction to Student Opportunities
There are many chances for our scholars to get practical, applied involvements using the knowledge they are knowledge in their classes.
- The department does not place scholars into these involvements but we do pass on notices of these chances (usually via the “csugrad” and “csgrad” email lists) for students to follow.
- We do keep a healthy list of various chances including internships, work co-ops, and REUs (research experiences for undergraduates). .
- Dr. Mohebbi is manager of the department’s residency program. Contact him to learn about how to have your knowledge count for course credit. But you must make these preparations prior to the work.
Academic Life at Appalachian State
The student-faculty ratio at Appalachian State University is 16:1, and the school has 35.3% of its lessons with fewer than 20 scholars. The most popular majors at Appalachian State University comprise: Business, Management, Marketing, and Related Provision Services; Health Professions and Related Packages; Parks, Recreation, Leisure, Fitness, and Kinesiology; Education; Communication, Journalism, and Related Programs; Social Sciences; Visual and Performing Arts; Psychology; Biological and Biomedical Sciences; and Homeland Security, Law Enforcement, Firefighting and Connected Protective Services. The average freshman retention rate, an pointer of student gratification, is 87%
Student Life at Appalachian State
Appalachian State University has a total scholar enrollment of 18,061 (fall 2020), with a gender distribution of 43% male students and 57% female scholars. At this school, 30% of the scholars live in college-owned, -operated or -allied housing and 70% of scholars live off campus. In sports, Appalachian State University is part of the NCAA I
Master of Science in Computer Science
|About this course|
- The program delivers students with alumna education in the education of the core areas of the discipline: software design, hardware systems, theoretical foundations, and the interactions of these areas
- scholars are provided significant applied experiences both independently and as parts of teams
- Scholars can choose from among five attentions: Data Science & Visual Computing, Foundations, Systems, Theoretics, Web & Mobile
- Upon successful conclusion of the program, students may follow a career as Software engineer, Network manager, IT manager, Mobile developer etc.
- Fees & Expenses
- 1st year tuition fees
|Tuition & fees||INR 13,47,595|
- Other expenses in 1st year
|Health Service Fee||INR 23,972|
|Education & Technology Fee||INR 42,486|
|Athletic Fee||INR 56,058|
|Student Activity Fee||INR 49,862|
|Miscellaneous Fees||INR 42,707|
|Application Fee||INR 4,794|
|Entry requirements for this course|
|Class 12th||No specific cutoff mentioned|
|Bachelors||2.5 GPA Interviewees should have 3.0 GPA in the last made degree and official scores from the suitable admission test(s), OR2.5 GPA in the last made degree and authorized scores at the 25th percentile level from the suitable admission test(s)Applicants who do not have an scholar degree in computer science may need to take some precondition coursework|
|Exams||TOEFL : 79 with no subsection under 11 IELTS : 6.5 GRE : Accepted Candidates with 3.0 GPA in last earned degree may be waived from smallest score criteria of GRE|
|Additional info||• Official Transcripts • Three LOR • Resume • Proof of Financial Support|
WHY THIS PROGRAMME?
The purpose of the specialisation in Computer Science, within the Master’s Programme in Computer Science, is to deliver world-class education custom-made to each individual. You choose amid a wide range of courses in computer science, shaping your teaching in line with your welfares and the section’s many research field. Your selection is made in discourse with our teachers and scholar counsellors, to ensure that your selections suit your educations and interests and that you achieve the specialism you are seeking. You can always deliberate your education with your teachers.
During the programme you can expect to:
- modify and tailor your education to your own interests,
- be taught by globally ground-breaking researchers,
- benefit from a focus on originality and problem-solving that prepare you for an advanced international career.
Sequences are taught by specialists in their field and are always up to date. We teach in an international environment that delivers you with a worldwide network of professional contacts: researchers, teachers and fellow scholars.
you have a robust foundation in computer science. You might even have some practical experience employed in the field after graduation, but you have not forgotten your broad theoretic base and study techniques. You are no foreigner to mathematics and procedures and are looking for an instructive experience that will give you long-term benefits and a skillset that lasts.
You are self-governing, self-going and extremely interested and willing to take a lot of accountability to form your own educational knowledge, as well as for your future professional career. You like to have numerous options and a freedom of excellent when it comes to courses and specialism.
A future PhD education is a option you might have thought about, but starting to work right after advancement is also something you are seeing. You like to keep your options open for now.
Possibility of Computer Science in India and Abroad
The scope of Computer Science course is outstanding not only in India but also abroad well, as the specialists in this field are hired in dissimilar job roles wherein, they get a lot of contact and also gain a lot of knowledge concerning the same. The career prospects in computer discipline for the applicants are numerous once they complete this course. Once they have finished the course, they can become working professionals in the field by employed in any one of the numerous subdivisions which are a part of this course.
The applicants can further work as a Computer operator, Data Scientist, IT Professional, and in various other job parts once they are hired. There is a need for specialists in the field as there are more and more computer requests coming up in the field. As the IT subdivision is booming, so are the job chances in the computer science field cumulative. Therefore, the scope of the computer science sequence is huge not only in India but also throughout the world.
The computer Science course subjects comprised in the course are there to assistance the scholars in understanding the option more accurately. It covers the aspects of the option in giving the applicant in-depth knowledge about the sequence. The computer science sequence develops skills in the scholars which they can use further in their job profiles. Some of the topics included in the sequence are :
- Outline to Digital Electronics
- Value and Ethics
- Working Systems Concepts
- Numerical Examination
- Python Programming
- Outline to Web Technology
Careers in Computer Science
The contenders can opt to follow higher education in computer science after they complete a bachelor’s degree in the arena. The candidate can apply for dissimilar career chances in the field once they whole the course. The salary is also obvious accordingly. There are several vocation chances in computer science field where the candidate can apply for.
Most of the persons who have a degree in Computer Science work in dissimilar job profiles according to their favourite and choice. They work as programmes or computer system forecasters which help them to get knowledge in the field while working.
There are too some more potential career occasions in the computer science course that comprise Software Engineer, Database Administrator, and numerous other career opportunities. So, once the candidate completes the course positively, there are numerous career chances available after this course which will assistance them to get better chances in the future as well.
Computer Science itself is a arena that keeps on bringing new projects and new requests for users. With the new and young aptitudes coming in the field, it is becoming even more trending with new informs coming up in the field. Also, the technology has been growing hugely with the need for more specialists in the field to work for the businesses in private as well as the public subdivision.
There has been an upsurge in the number of applicants who are willing to follow computer science sequence. The trends keep changing because of the dissimilar novelties and technologies in the market. With the new future trends arriving into the market, it gives the operators a better experience of computers and its software. Given below are some of the future trends in computer science:
- Artificial Intellect and Robotics
- Computer-assisted Education
- Big Data and Analytics
- Cyber Security are some of the upcoming trends.
Required Skillset for Computer Science
The computer science applicants are needed to own some required skill sets, which helps them to get better at their office. Having certain skill sets and counting it in your resume upsurges your chances of receiving hired in a specific job role. Mentioned below are some of the obligatory skill sets:
- Computer and Technology Knowledge – The applicant must have this skill when it comes to employed in the field of computer science. Therefore, the candidate needs to have the obligatory information to work in the field.
- Data Analysis – The applicant needs to understand the data and then analyse the data that has been given to you. The applicant needs to analyse data and then use it for further info.
- Software Development – A fair empathetic of software and its claims and also the use of software growth is important to work better. You must be able to understand the procedure and also work with others concurrently to understand it in a better way.
- Communication Skills – Communication is the key to the whole thing. This skill helps you to communicate with your customers, colleagues, and also other members of the organisation to convey the info to them accurately.
- Creativity – Having a original mind is very important in this field. They should be talented to create creative functions, web packages, and also websites. You need to think outdoor the box and also give sole ideas to create something creatively.
Course Curriculum for Computer Science
The computer science sequence curriculum is intended by the colleges or universities to give whole knowledge and sympathetic of the course and also its importance. The course curriculum comprises the lessons and the academic gratified that is being taught to the scholars so that it helps them to get better at the sequence. It includes the topics that are obtainable in the course and which are being taught to the scholars.
The computer science course prospectus is intended to teach the scholars about the various rudiments that are included in the course. It is a mixture of classroom training, lab lessons, and also practicals. The scholars are also asked to do practicals as it helps them to get a better sympathetic of the computer science sequence. Therefore, a course prospectus is important to help the scholars understand the course methodically.