Topics Under Article Hide
Each year, over 130,100 global students opt to study at Canadian universities. Topics Cover Under Article : Canada Student Visa Application Process | Eligibility Criteria For Canada Student Visa | Canada Student Visa Approval Rate .
In adding to a high-quality education system, Canada also provides plentiful potential and a lively culture. Research, scientific publications, and global collaborations are three of the major aspects that Canada and its scholastic institutions spotlight on.
But how hard is it to get the student visa, also recognized as a Canadian study permit, for Canada? Figuring this out will participate a vital role when you decide where you want to study. So, what do you have to do to get your student visa for Canada, and how hard is it?
1. Apply at a Canadian university and get your acceptance letter
If you’re still not certain where you desire to study in Canada, you will have to choose before you can begin your student visa application procedure. After being acknowledged at a Canadian university, you’ll get an approval letter that will be necessary for the visa application.
Given below are some Canadian universities we advise:
- York University
- University of Toronto
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Manitoba
- Thompson Rivers University
2. Verify if you require to apply for a student visa in Canada
You can use the representative Canadian study permit apparatus to find out if you require a study visa or permit. You don’t need a study visa if one of the subsequent situations applies to you:
- You enroll in a study programme that lasts less than 6 months.
- You are a member of overseas armed forces from the Visiting Forces Act.
- You are a family or staff member of a foreign representative in Canada, who is credited by the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada.
- You are a resident of a different country, but you have an Indian status registered in Canada.
Keep in mind that the study permit/visa does not act as a usual visa, which allows you to come in or travel to Canada. For that, you will require a travel visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA).
3. Start your application for the Canadian student visa
As soon as you got the reception letter from the university, it is time to continue to the next step: applying for a student visa, which is locally recognized as a study permit.
The primary steps to obtaining your student visa:
- Apply online for your Canadian student visa, on the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) official website before you appear in Canada.
- Send the visa application documents by post if you have a restricted internet connection or cannot present the documents online.
- Offer an approval letter from a designated learning organization (a university renowned by the Canadian government).
- Transport proof of enough financial resources to support your studies in Canada (tuition fees and livelihood expenses).
- Current proof confirming you have no illegal record.
- Suggest clinical records that condition you are in good health; present absolute medical examinations if necessary.
According to latest visa regulations, if you have a family member working or applying for a work permit in Canada, the request for your study permit will be processed in 2 weeks. You may renovate or lengthen your study permit if:
- you alter your university
- you wish to carry on your studies
- your programme has an expansion
The study permit expires 90 days after your studies are completed (after you obtain a notification of the programme achievement). You can still reside in Canada to take a trip and discover or you can apply for a work permit, which allows you to take a full time or part-time job, or even be self-employed.
Useful tip: Check out if your residence country is on the listing of biometrics requirements for the study permit request.
4. Prepare all the requisite documents for the student visa in Canada
- Filled-in student permit application form
- The original letter of receiving from the university
- A valid passport/travel document, which also permits you to return to your residence country. If you exist in the USA, this is not essential.
- Two up to date passport-size photographs, with specifications of name and date of birth on the back
- Proof of financial hold during your study programme. This means proving you have between 10,100 and 11,100 CAD annually for living in the country.
- A letter of intent
- If you plan to study in Quebec, you will also require a Certificat d’acceptation du Québec, English and French translations of your document, a declaration from the translator and a licensed copy of the unique documents
- Proof that you paid the study permit fee (155 CAD)
- 1 Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa
- 2 Canada Student Visa : Reasons for Refusal
- 3 Canada Student Visa Approval Rate
- 4 Temporary Canada Visas
- 4.1 Permanent Canada Visas
- 4.2 How applying online helps you
- 4.3 If you can’t apply online
Eligibility Criteria for Canada Student Visa
You can apply for a Canada Study visa if you accomplish the given below criteria:
- You have been acknowledged by a designated learning institute (DLI).
- You necessitate to prove that you have sufficient funds to pay your tuition fee and living expenses.
- You need to confirm that you have a spotless background and no illegal record. The students need to generate a police certificate to verify this.
- You need to do a health checkup and produce a medical certificate that certifies that you are in excellent health.
Also at the time of the visa interview, you need to influence the visa officer that you will depart Canada once you finished your studies.
Canada Student Visa : Reasons for Refusal
- Lack of Travel History: If a person has not traveled somewhere outside of their home country ahead of, they will be refused a visa if they concern on their own. Our firm can conquer this cause by making lawful arguments and referencing a Federal Court Case in the application.
- Study Plan: Without a thorough and reasonable study plan, the officer will not be influenced the major purpose of coming to Canada is to study. There must be a logical progression of studying if a person already has earlier post-graduate (PG) education or work experience. The option of program in Canada must make intellect for the student, or a correct explanation must be given how their diploma in Canada will help them when they go back to their home country. This is the most widespread reason for refusal.
- Proof of Finances: Tuition in Canada begins at $15,100 CAD yearly. The Canadian government wants to make sure a student has the financial support to give for their tuition and living expenses. A bank statement with a least of $30,500 CAD correspondent needs to be provided as proof.
- Strong Family Ties to Canada: Shockingly, having family members in Canada can be a cause for rejection, and individuals applying on their own can be refused. Our firm can conquer this reason by making lawful arguments and referencing a Federal Court Case in the application.
- Personal Assets
- Documents that do not appear authentic
- Lack of evidentiary documents
- Illegal Status in Country of Residence
- Lack of Employment Prospects in Home Country: if student is older
- Current Employment Situation: if student is older
- History of overstaying status on a previous visit to Canada
- Other Reasons
Canada Student Visa Approval Rate
The table given below highlights the changes in key Canadian student visa statistics between 2018 and 2019:
|Canadian Student Visa Trends, 2018-2019
The Canadian student visa consent rate dropped from 66.5% to 60.1% between 2018 and 2019. At the same time, the number of student visa applications improved by roughly 25%. The net result was that student visa approvals grew by roughly 30,000 year-over-year, a 12.6% increase.
A key factor to keep in mind when discussing student visa approval rates is that they can vary significantly by study level.
Taken jointly, primary and secondary schools had the top approval rate in both years, settling in at 77.2% in 2019. In contrast, the college approval rate fell to 55.1%, the lowest rate amongst sectors.
It’s significant to make a note of that the reduce in approval rates occurred across all study levels, though not uniformly. Primary and secondary school approvals declined the least (3.3%), with college subsequently (4.5%) in spite of its lower in general rate.
The outstanding three study levels—university, language programs, and other studies, which includes Quebec-based training and vocational programs and any spouses or children of global students who hold a study permit themselves—fell the utmost, declining between 7 and 9% year-over-year.
Canadian Student Visa Approval Rates by Country
Let’s turn to country-specific authorization rates. 25 countries surpassed 1,200 student visa approvals in 2018. These countries are the major players in Canadian education.
Anchored by India & China, which provide more than half of Canada’s global student population, this group accounted for 88.8% of all student visa approvals in 2018. With such huge student populations, we would wait for approval rates for these countries to be quite steady, and that holds accurate, with 13 of the top 25 countries considering a less than 2% change in student visa approval rate.
Nevertheless, there were some important outliers, mainly on the negative side. Let’s take a glance at which countries those were and the factors that might have contributed to the vary.
Requirements for Canada Student Visa
The Canadian Government provides a chance to Indian students to study in the country but as a precondition, you’ll have to acquire a Study Permit and a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).
What is a study permit?
This is not a visa; it’s a permit or a document issued by the Citizen and Immigration (CIC) which permits you to study in Canada. If you grasp a study permit, you must stay enrolled and make realistic and well-timed progress towards finishing your course.
Your study permit is constantly accompanied along with a visitor visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (ETA). Please note that a study permit is a document that permits you to study in Canada while a guest visa or ETA allows you to come in Canada. Your counselor will aid you right of entry the newest information and join you with authorized migration experts.
Documents requisite for your study permit
To apply for your study permit, you will require:
- An acceptance letter from your education institution, and
- A suitable passport or travel document
- Evidence that you can support yourself or any family members who may go along with you, while you’re in Canada
Eligibility for Canada Student Visa
- The least eligibility criterion is to be a graduate with 50% score from a UGC or AICTE renowned university.
- Though, the underneath factors make the customer case an exception and a KB query has to be raised to take verification on whether you can enroll the customer or not before you sell.
- The graduation degree has to be accomplished inside the predetermined time with no-year back.
- Example: B.Com is a 3-year degree. The customer should have concluded it within 3 years and not more.
- Example: Engineering is a 4-year degree. The customer should have finished within 4 years and not more.
- The customer should not have more than 10 backlogs in his/her graduation period.
How to Apply for Canada Student Visa?
You can apply for a Canadian study permit either online or through a paper request, which can be obtained from the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) official website. Paper applications normally take about twice as extended, and it’s constantly suggested to check the processing times well in advance. To apply online, you’ll require a credit/debit card and the capability to produce electronic copies of your supporting documents (like using a scanner or camera). The visa office in your country will offer detailed instructions about which documents you need to offer; this can differ depending on your location. If you require assistance, you can get assist at your nearby visa application center (VAC).
The procedure for obtaining a Canadian student visa is as given below:
- You must primary acquire a standardized letter of recognition from a renowned senior education supplier. Students studying in Quebec must also apply for a certificate of acceptance, recognized as a CAQ, from the government of Quebec. You must obtain this before you are permitted to apply for a study permit. You can get this online, by printing out a form, or by requesting a paper form from your university, which will also offer guidance on this subject.
- The next stage is to get a Canadian student visa application package, either from the CIC official website or by contacting your local visa office, or the Canadian embassy or consulate in your residence country. You might also require to attain a temporary residence permit if you are from a designated country (find out if you require to get one now), but this will not complicate matters too much as it’ll be processed at the same time as your study permit request.
- In order to get your request package you’ll need answering a small number of questions about yourself on the CIC official website. These questions will establish whether you are qualified to apply online for a Canadian student permit, and what ID (documents) you’ll require to offer.
- If you are found qualified, you will attain an individual checklist code, appropriate for 60 days, which you will require in order to submit your application online. Make certain to print out the page containing your code for future reference. The page will also comprise an application guide, an expected tuition fees amount, a list of documents you will need to submit with your application, and guidelines for your next steps.
- When you are prepared to apply, build a MyCIC account, where you will come in your personal checklist code. You will then attain your personal document checklist which permits you to upload and send your documents to CIC. You’ll necessitate a printer or a scanner to perform this.
Types of Entry Visas Required
Before you submit an application for a Canadian visa, you must foremost identify which visa you want to apply for. Given below are the types of Canada visas:
- Work visas.
- Visitor visas.
- Student visas.
- Business Immigrant visas.
- Permanent Residence visas.
- Express Entry Program visas.
You must choose the one that fits the reason of why you want to go to Canada.
Temporary Canada Visas
The temporary Canada visas permit the person to stay in Canada for a precise period of time which is determined by the Canadian Consulate or the Border Services Officers (BSO). This time is generally up to half a year. Though, the temporary visa can be solitary entry or numerous entry visas.
Single entry visa allows the person to only come in Canada once, stay for 6 months and then come back to their residence country. A multiple entry visa allows the person to enter Canada multiple times until their visa expires and stay for the short term.
Given below are the different types of Canadian Temporary Visas provided by Canada:
- Canada Tourist Visa: The Visitor Visa or the Tourist visa allows the owner to come in Canada for the purposes of tourism in the nation.
- Canada Super Visa: The Canadian Super Visa allows parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens or Canadian Permanent Residents to visit their children or grandchildren for an extensive stay.
- Diplomatic and Official Visa: The Diplomatic and Official visa gives consent to officials and diplomats from foreign countries to come in Canada for authorized duties and purposes.
- Courtesy Visa: The Courtesy visa is known to all those people who do not meet the criteria for a Diplomatic and Official Visa but are measured of significance due to their ranks and positions. This includes for instance, members of trade missions or diplomats with touristic intent.
- Canada Business Visa: The Business Visa is specified to those who are travelling to Canada with business purposes as persons or as a group of business people.
- Visa to Give Birth in Canada: This visa is agreed to people who accomplish all the criteria to live for the short term in Canada and who are pregnant and want to give birth in the country. Giving birth in Canada makes the baby mechanically a Canadian citizen.
- Intending Organ Donors Visa: This visa is given to a person who is traveling to Canada with the reason of donating an organ to a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident.
- Canada Facilitation Visa: These are given to Canadian citizens with dual nationalities who do not have a Canadian passport but have a passport of a different nationality. The facilitation visa is stamped on the person’s other nationality visa due to tremendous hardships of the person getting a Canadian passport.
- Canada Student Visa: A Canadian student visa is specified to those who have an admission from a Canadian university to complete their studies. If you are going to Canada to study for less than 6 months, then you can merely get a TRV visa, but for more than 6 months of studies, you will want a Student Visa.
- Canada Temporary Work Visa: Canada temporary work visas are given to those people who have a job propose in Canada and will work for up to 6 months. To get this visa, the person must present a suitable job offer letter from an employer and be eligible for a temporary visa.
- Temporary Residence Permit: This permit is for those people who necessitate to go to Canada for diverse purposes but are otherwise not permissible for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). This permit is issued only for the span of time that the person desires to be in Canada, for example 2 weeks for a workshop.
- Working Holiday Visa: The Canada Working Holiday Visa is given to youthful people from 30 countries, so they can job in Canada and travel. It is a random assortment visa which means that applicants will present their applications and wait to be by chance selected to apply for the work permit.
Permanent Canada Visas
The permanent Canada visas are visas which permit the holder to lastingly settle in the country. These are otherwise recognized as immigrant visas and can be of diverse types, as given below:
- Immigrant Investor Program: It is for people who will build investments in the Canadian economy and have a net value of at least CAD$800,500. They have to invest at least CAD$400,500 and the government will return this investment to them in 5 years without any interest.
- Startup Visa Program: The Canada Startup Visa is for people who will be independently occupied in contributing to the market. They must have a net value of at least CAD$300,500 and must commit to owning and managing at least one third of a Canadian business as well as construct and preserve employment within 3 years of being in the country.
- Self-employed Persons Visa: This is for people who have skills in athletics, culture, business, or farming and can begin their own businesses. These people must display how they will finance the business as well as their skills in those particular areas.
- Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker Program (QSWP): If you have one of the occupations which are requisite in the Canadian region of Quebec and you are fluent in French, then you can apply for the Quebec Skilled Worker Program which will permit you to move and work everlastingly there.
- Family-Sponsorship Program. The Family Sponsorship Visa allows the spouses and dependent children of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents to immigrate to Canada everlastingly.
- Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP). This visa is given to caregivers who are capable to take care for elderly, disabled people, or children and exist in a personal home in Canada.
Canada Student Visa Rejection
When a study permit application is refused, this refusal will be renowned in a letter issued by the visa official to the unproductive candidate. Inside this letter, the visa officer will point to the reason(s) for refusal from a list of pre-determined possibilities. This listing of refusal reasons gives only essential information concerning the grounds for the refusal.
However, when an application is refused, the candidate has the correct to demand the visa officer’s notes supporting the cause for refusal. It is strongly suggested that these notes are requested as this will notify the candidate as to how finest to address the refusal. Once a candidate has obtained the case explanation from the visa officer, they can assess whether or not the grounds for the refusal were applicable. If the study permit was refused for suitable reasons, for instance, if the candidate failed to comprise any of the requisite documents, then the greatest option is to present a latest application after ensuring that the errors are addressed.
If the study permit was refused for reasons the candidate believes were invalid then an application requesting reassessment may be submitted. Together the appeal procedure and the resubmission procedure may take significant amounts of time. The candidate should therefore be organized to get in touch with their school to ask for amendments to their planned start date in the event that they will not be able to attain a study permit in time to begin the program on the date initially planned.
Applying Against Study Permit Refusal
The short reply is “No,” though there is still an alternative when a study permit or visa request has been refused.
Applications for Canadian immigration forever have a treatment for an officer’s end to refuse the application. Though, the choice to seem for a medicine is commonly not an “appeal.”
The right to appeal a decision on a Canadian immigration request stems from section 63 of IRPA, the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act. This section of the law gives a tremendously restricted group of people (frequently everlasting residents of Canada) the right to disagreement a refusal by tempting it to the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada.
If your application for a study permit, visitor visa, or work permit is refused, then you can inquire the Federal Court to review the decision and determine whether the decision was sensible. An application for Judicial Review has two given below steps:
- Step 1 is the application for “leave.” If you are looking for leave for judicial evaluation, then you are asking the court for consent to carry your case to them. The court does not listen to any case merely because there is a refusal.
- Step 2 is the genuine appeal for judicial review of the case. If leave is approved, then the court will listen to the applicant’s disagreement that the officer’s decision to refuse the request was unfair.
The federal court can conclude that a refusal of an immigration request was unreasonable for the given reasons:
- An error in law (the decision did not chase the law)
- An error in fact (the choice did not take into account particulars and evidence which were accessible)
- An error in law & fact
- The decision was deliberately unreasonable
If an appliance for a visitor visa, work permit, study permit, inland sponsorship, or any other type of application which does not permit for the right of appeal is refused, then the candidate has the right to ask the court to evaluation the decision.
If the court finds that the decision was made inaccurately, the application will be returned to the visa office and will go back into processing for a diverse officer to make a decision. Even if the candidate won at the Federal Court, the application could still be refused for a different reason. Because of this, it is tremendously significant that if your application is refused, you consider if it would be in your best interest to suggest a new request or take the fight to court.
If an application has less than outstanding supporting documents, or if the arguments are not totally sound, it is almost surely in the applicant’s best interest to offer a latest application to address the officer’s concerns in the denial letter rather than looking for leave for judicial review. A new request can be accepted because it has addressed all of the gaps and troubles in the unique application, even though the unique application was refused. If you are uncertain why the application was refused because the way of thinking was not obvious in the refusal letter, then you can apply for the officer’s notes in the GCMS system for the thorough reasons for refusal.
Renewal of Study Visa Application
In most cases, you must relate online to expand your study permit. You might be able to relate on paper if either
- you have a disability that makes it impractical to apply online or
- there’s a difficulty with the online request
How applying online helps you
- No courier cost or mail delivery time—we get your application right away.
- Your application may be processed more rapidly.
- It helps you make certain your request is complete before you submit it.
- You can rapidly submit additional documents online (if we ask you to).
- You get updates on the status of your request straightforwardly in your online account.
A study permit is not considered as a visa.
Step 1: Make certain you have what you require
To apply online, you’ll need
- a scanner or camera to construct electronic copies of your documents, and
- a suitable credit or debit card
Step 2: Read the instruction guide
Even if you apply online, you should read the instruction direct before you complete your application. The guide explains how to complete each field on the form.
Step 3: Prepare your answers for the online instrument
Before you can upload your forms, you must respond some questions. We use your answers to make a modified document checklist for you.
Step 4: Be familiar with the fees you have to pay
In most cases, your fees will comprise processing fees for you and anybody you comprise on your application.
As a short-term measure, if you’re in Canada and applying to work, study or reside temporarily in Canada, you do not need to give your biometrics
Step 5: Create your online account or sign in
You require an account to apply online. You can use your account to:
- pay your fees
- present your application
- check your position
If you can’t apply online
You can offer a paper application if either:
- you can’t apply online because of a disability
- there’s a difficulty with the online request
This is it in Canada Student Visa Application Process | Eligibility Criteria For Canada Student Visa | Canada Student Visa Approval Rate . Check More on Study Abroad .